Saturday, December 10, 2011

How do you cook a turkey?

A woman asked her mother how to cook a turkey.  Her mother went through the preparation and cooking.  When the mother finished, her daughter asked her why she cut off the top of the turkey during preparation.  The mother thought about it, then said that was how her mother taught her.  So the women then went to her grandmother to ask why she cut off the top of the turkey.  Her grandmother told her that was what her own mother taught her.  Thankfully the woman's great grandmother was still alive.  She then asked her why she cut off the top of the turkey.  "Oh," she said, "my oven was too small for a whole turkey."
As the Christmas season is in full swing, I am strongly considering which of our ways of celebrating are simply traditions, done because that is how we've always done them, or do they truly have meaning.  Some of this maybe due to a 3 year old in the house that constantly asks "why."  But, even more so it may be due to a class called Form and Meaning.  As we hope to teach truth to a completely different culture, we need to consider what is truth and what is simply part of our culture that isn't important to transfer to others. 
As parents now too, John and I are trying to be very intentional with our children as to what we are celebrating this Christmas.  So as we put up decorations and consider activities, I am evaluating if the form (tradition, decoration, activity) really communicates the meaning I desire.  I've decided upon an advent calender, that counts down the days to Christmas.  Each day moves through history, explaining how the birth of the Son was a long awaited promise.  We have a couple nativity sets to decorate with and will bake a birthday cake for the 25th.  I've always looked forward to unloading my stocking Christmas morning, but I haven't found a good way of incorporating that form with the meaning we are teaching our boys.  Let me know if you have any ideas!?!