Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Fish Crackers


 
I (Erin) was very excited to find these crackers.  I thought they would be a great, not to mention, fun, snack for the boys, especially as many of the crackers here are rather sweet.  The boys too were very excited for fish crackers, though I’m pretty sure they don’t remember Goldfish from the States.  We brought them home and immediately opened them up. When I first tasted them I was a bit disappointed.  They tasted as if they were flavored with onion, but with a bit of a twist which I can’t quite explain.  I love sour cream and onion chips and onion in most anything, but these crackers where just different enough I did not like them.  The boys on the other hand love them and just keep eating them.    
Street side seller of durian, which you can smell as you pass by
 
Yesterday we found out they are durian flavored crackers.  It all makes sense now.  I recently had the opportunity to try durian fruit, for it is the height of durian season.  It had been made into a spread, but I would bet the flavor was the same regardless.  I explained to John it tasted like something sweet with an oniony or garlicky hint to it.  Remember the hint of onion in the fish crackers with a slight twist…durian, that was it!  Yes durian is a fruit and has a sweetness to it, yet there is another very different flavor.  People say you either love it or hate it, nothing in between.  Some public buildings, such as hotels and hospitals have rules against bringing the fruit in as it has a very strong odor (odor not fragrance) even with its thick peel on.  I will politely pass on any other offers of durian as it is a very strange flavor. 

I bought the fish crackers for the boys, so as long as they like them it doesn’t matter the flavor.