This year we decided it would be best not to weaken his
enthusiasm for learning by entering him into a local school again. So on August 19th we began
kindergarten at home. It is going very
well. Caedmon is ready to start every
morning, excited about learning, and constantly asking when we will use the
activities I, Erin, have on my shelf. I
too am fully enjoying it, so much so it has become a competitor for my own
language study. I would much rather
prepare for Caedmon’s class than for my own language session.
I scheduled 10 “field trips” into our year, with the first a
week ago Monday. I’m still slightly at a
loss for where we will go or what we’ll do for all them. So, for our first field trip we just went
outside to the small park within our complex.
We talked about the parts of plants and collected examples for a
‘report.’ Back at home Caedmon glued our
examples onto a paper and I wrote down headings. The following day I asked him to give John,
Whitman and I a ‘presentation’ about our field trip and the examples on his
‘report.’ It was a lot of fun. At his age my goal in many areas is broad exposure. So exposing him the parts of plants and trees
in a concrete way, and the terms for a report and presentation with out really
emphasizing much else was a lot of fun.
Enjoy the videos!
I feel so blessed to be a part of my child’s formal
education. Years ago I never envisioned
myself homeschooling, but I am loving it! I really appreciate the flexibility we have to slow down when
Caedmon struggles with a topic and the opportunity I have to see him learn new
information and master previously difficult areas. And this is just kindergarten!