Wednesday, November 12, 2014

English

Erin with attendees
This past weekend we took a trip to the provincial capitol as I had been invited to speak at an English event at a local University.  I was the guest native speaker.  I attended the whole day, giving a motivational and practical session on English study and usage at the end of the day.  John and the boys spent the day sight seeing.  It turned out to be a lot more fun than I expected.   
 
Treats provided for the presenters.
I sat at a table on the stage even through other presentations.
 
College students and a few high school students attended.
 
I have become more and more thankful to be a native English speaker.  Not so much because of the large demand for the language here (I would be happy with a few less opportunities in that area), but because it has become truly a world wide language.  It has been chosen as the language of commerce, politics, and travel for the combined efforts to grow of 10 nations in our region.  After Latin, English seems to be the most widely or influential language in the realm of medicine as many medical terms here come from English.  This is even more so in the area of technology; laptop, pause, and HP for hand phone (cell phone) are the terms used here (in English).  Even funnier is the word toilet is commonly used as is WC (for water closet), all said with a local accent of course.  As I sit in a cafĂ© to write this popular music from the States is playing.  Sometimes the usage is not quite exact, but it just reinforces the prominence of English and what a blessing it is that we already know it!
 
Truck carrying LPG
(spelled out phonetically)

Bought at a local pharmacy

"My wife is darling"
on the back window of a bus-like public transportation vehicle

Meaning...? 
Adds and signs around town (or in the mall as above) often use English, not always well.
For my presentation last weekend I was asked to motivate the students as to the importance of studying English.  As evident as that is, I found it difficult at first as we have come here with the mindset of learning the language or languages spoken here.  So I had to shift my focus for the day!