When we first studied the question
of form versus meaning it was in the context of language. If you have learned a second language you know much of language cannot be translated literally. For example the most common question we receive whenever we leave our house is literally translated, "Want go where?" Their meaning is, "Where're you going?" In English we don't use the word want and it would sound quite funny to leave out the subject you.
After looking at the context of language, we were challenged to bring the issue into the context of culture. Are the things we do just cultural or dictated by truth. Some of these are easier to answer than others, such as how to put on a wedding: cultural! How to dress? Slightly more difficult, but mostly cultural. Here I do not dress as I would in my home culture for it would be very disrespectful, therefore I am guided by truth, choosing to be respectful to their culture and cover up a little more (though it is sooo hot.)
Recently John and I discussed a different culture versus truth question: fish.
![]() |
| Recently I bought and cooked fish for $2. John would be happy eating fish daily, if only I could become more comfortable with buying and cooking it. |
Fish is a main staple here. Chicken and beef are for the rich. I get a kick out of telling people that fish in the States is expensive, more like rich people's food. I rarely buy fish because I just don't have a lot of experience cooking it, especially bone-in, whole fish. Recently our neighbors have all been seeking food options other than fish, or at least discussing it, but not because of a spike in price.
In the past couple weeks a total of 6 bodies have been found on our coastline from a plane crash that occurred in December. Unfortunately the bodies were found in pretty bad shape, leading many to conclude they had at least been nibbled on by fish. Therefore, there is great concern in our community about what the fish, one might eat, ate prior to being caught. When I first heard this I laughed it off, thinking people were joking. Some were, others are serious and getting tired of tofu and tempe as alternatives. I don't know much about fish, the various types, and their various diets, but I have heard the term bottom feeder and know there are those that just swim along with their mouths open eating whatever enters. So, I am sure I have eaten fish that have eaten many things that I would not eat myself. But all this talk led John and I to discuss the matter of culture versus truth one day when we were unable to order fish at a local restaurant we frequently visit.
Do our neighbors understand the process of digestion? Is there a difference to them between a physical body and a spiritual body? Do our actions here in this world, towards a corpse, effect the one who died or us? How directly or indirectly are we affected by what an animal we eat has already eaten? Do the things that go into our bodies make us clean or unclean? John and I know where we stand with all these questions, but we still have a lot to learn about the views of our neighbors. This has been very interesting, sometimes a little funny, and occasionally a little gross to think about.
![]() |
| Search Teams Being Deployed |
![]() |
| The search for the remaining bodies and plane parts has been localized to the crash site, over 600 miles away. After local fisherman found passenger and plane remains, a search began in our province. |


