Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Want to become flexible or creative?...become a parent!

Today was Caedmon's first dentist appointment.  He saw John and I (Erin) go to the dentist yesterday and had many questions and skeptical looks.  We discussed what the dentist would do and briefly what they would not do ("they not hurt me" according to Caedmon).  With all that said, Caedmon was a champ.  He just sat there, let the hygienist brush his teeth (with his new tooth brush), floss, and let the dentist look, poke, and paint fluoride on.  This is how I hoped it would go, but it was not how it all started.  Right as I began to nurse Whitman after checking in, Caedmon URGENTLY informed me he needed to use the restroom.  With Whitman in my arms, we ran to the bathroom.  Unfortunately, we didn't quite make it and of course today was a day I forgot to pack a second set of clothes for either child.  So, I proceeded to wash Caedmon's shorts in the sink all the while continuing to feed the baby.  It did just happen that the shorts Caedmon himself had selected this morning were swim trunks.  So, with the underwear off and the trunks still damp, we returned to the waiting room where the hygienist was waiting for us.  Caedmon proceeded with incredible cooperation and sat on Whitman's blanket every time he sat down, which again was fortunate because who needs a blanket in the middle of July (thank goodness for a cool day).  I am definitely growing in flexibility and creativity by means I never imagined!