On the 15th of each month at the boy's school, there is a parent get together. Material related to parenting and child rearing is presented, then door prizes are drawn, and a monetary lottery occurs. Last month I was asked to present regarding health & children. It was an incredible opportunity to share about general practices such as hand washing and covering your mouth when coughing or sneezing. I spent the first half just talking about germs and their transmission as so many sicknesses are seen as the cause of weather changes, "wind entering your body" (literally translated), or some spiritual craftiness. I'm sure I probably only scratched the surface and presented such a different view it only sunk in so deep for some.
This past Monday, a teacher presented on gross and fine motor skills followed by a fashion presentation. A fellow mom presented on various ways to wear a heading covering. Here, there are various reasons, times, and ways woman wear head coverings. The default answer is because it is required by their belief system.
To start, the presenter asked for a volunteer. You, guessed it... I, Erin, quickly raised by hand. Almost three years here and I still have not learned how to put one on. I also knew all the other, 50 plus mothers, would get the biggest kick out of the westerner being dressed in a head covering. Many laughed, smiled, and said, "Oh yes it will look prettier on her." To which I joked, "But my nose looks so big." Which brought more laughter because of course they love my big nose. A few people commented that I looked middle eastern.
![]() |
| Wearing a Ninja (not translated) Most wear this or a version that just covers the head, to pin the outer covering to. |
![]() |
| Style 1 |
![]() |
| Style 2 |
![]() |
| Style 3 |
![]() |
| Style 4 - Party Style |
It turned out not to be the best way for me to learn, though a friend videoed the whole thing, but it sure was a great deal of fun! Though I'm not required to wear one by the authorities here, we have discussed it in the context of "becoming all things to all people," and I'm getting use to how my nose and prominent eyebrows look!




