As I, Erin, am about to enter my 8th month of pregnancy, it is recommended to be seen every two weeks. Thus far, we have been making monthly trips to the big city (a 6 hour car ride away) to be seen by a doctor at a hospital where I hope to deliver. It seemed a little extreme to increase our trips to every two weeks, especially as we intend to stay in the big city, awaiting the delivery, beginning June 3rd (my due date is the 10th).
I mentioned to a neighbor that I desired to make a visit to the local walk-in type clinic for a pregnancy check-up. She too is pregnant and suggested we go together. Monday morning we ventured together to the clinic. It is very helpful to have a local show you the ropes first time around.
![]() |
| The Entrance and Check-In Desk |
The clinic is about 4 blocks from our house. It is an open air construction, with rooms and offices all opening directly out into a court yard. We first took numbers, then when called, "checked-in," giving our name, address, and husband's name. When our charts were ready, we waited a little longer than usual for they had to make me a new chart, we went directly across the courtyard to the "pregnancy" section. I was then weighed and had my blood pressure measured. Next, I went into another room to be seen by the midwife. She asked if I had any complaints, then checked the baby's heart beat with a hand held Doppler, and lastly manually checked the baby's position. The midwife finished by asking if I needed a prescription for vitamins. That was it!
It went smoothly, though a few differences did stick out. The first was their scale, which was a very simple one. It showed I had lost about 10 lbs. since my last visit in the big city. When I got home I weighed myself again, on my very simple scale, which said I weighed the same as my last check-up in the big city. The next thing that stuck out and made me laugh, at least inside, was as soon as I exposed my pregnant belly the midwife said, "Oh, what a pretty belly!" We usually all get comments on how beautiful our 'white' skin is, which my belly certainly is, but all I could muster up was a thank you. Lastly, the midwife said the baby is currently in a horizontal position. This stuck out to me for a couple reasons. At my last check-up in the big city the doctor, by means of an ultrasound, found the baby in a head down position. I have also heard multiple stories of friends whom were checked by midwives here, told their baby's were head down, then it turned out they were not. I'm not too concerned at the moment as there is still plenty of time for her too move and she sure does make big movements, but as with anything it could always be lifted up. The funniest part to me about the baby's position was the midwife and my friend concluded it must be because the baby is small, though there was nothing to go by expect my physical appearance.
It was a new experience and worth going, if only to have my blood pressure and the baby's heart beat checked. Many people deliver their babies there, but Him willing, I still desire to deliver in the big city!
